First, the biggest change is a breakaway from our standard map. Each server will have it’s unique landscapes and points of interest generated randomly. It will allow everyone to find a corner for oneself and arrange it as he/she wants. Rivers, roads, and mines will appear in the game. Mines will be rich with rare resources, and their addition will lead to fights for control over them.
Thereby the world will cease to be static — resource generation rate and size of the map will depend on a number of players on the server. It will allow to solve problems connected with the resource lack after big advertising campaigns. Eventually Wild Terra will be able to enter Steam and increase it’s player base. After all, we’re making an MMO!
Map size increase and lag problem solution
Optimization defects were caused by the wrong architecture of the actual servers, inability to scale the size of the playable world and increase the servers’ capacity. Using the new approach, we’ll manage to improve optimization. In addition, event calculation algorithm has been changed — only active regions, where something happens at the present time, are processed.
Safe zones and constant war regions
Special type of territories will appear in the game, where no one can attack others and destroy buildings. It’ll be helpful to players who has no time to “live” in the game 24/7 defending their property.
Project development with the new server
From the perspective of the developer, the server change solves several issues connected with:
- player quantity increase within one server;
- as a result, reduction of the number of servers and our expenses on the hardware;
- attraction of players of similar types to same places in the game world: safe zones for casual players and constant war regions for hardcore and PvP-oriented ones.
At last, the new server will bring us closer to adding long-promised new features:
- personal and public caves — dungeons;
- mines and fights for resources;
- clans, clans’ castles, and clan territories;
- mounts and much more features, which are still too early to announce…
Tests of the new server will begin in January-February 2016.